Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why social work?

Growing up, I was a big fan of the TV show “Judging Amy.” The mother in that show was a case worker. That’s when I first learned what a case worker did. I was interested in it, though in college I majored in psychology, religious studies and theology, with a focus in grief counseling.

In my first job out of college, I was a case manager for people with HIV/AIDS. The people I worked with had a spectrum of problems, including mental illness, drug abuse and homelessness. As a result, the transition to Recovery Resources wasn’t too difficult.

My favorite part of the job is interacting with the clients and hearing their stories. A lot of people don’t have the opportunities I did. Society forgets that they’re people, too. I truly believe that if society was different, we wouldn’t need case managers.


No comments:

Post a Comment