Monday, March 7, 2011

Getting to know the client

When I meet a new client, the first thing I do is gather background information. Some clients come in and know exactly what they want, be it a job, housing or mental stability. Others don’t say much. Some clients don’t want to trust me because they haven’t been able to trust anyone in their life. It’s a give and take.
I ask them questions about their strengths, weaknesses, hopes and wishes. I also try to learn as much as possible about their disease.

Questions I might ask:
What do you hope to accomplish through treatment?
What are your symptoms?

If you take medications, what do you take and how do you take them? (Some people take them all at once...not good!)
Are there any side effects to your medication?
Do you have medical insurance or a source of income? (If they don’t have insurance, one of the first things I do is try to sign them up for Medicare)
Do you have a criminal history?

The more I know, the more effectively I can help them.


1 comment:

  1. Hey! Nice articles. I used to be a CPSTS there and the photos and your writing sure made me nostalgic! Like you said, there is never a dull day...hope to read more about your experiences...
    Roona

    ReplyDelete